Auditions for These shining lives
Sunday, December 1 & Monday, December 2
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Starting at 6pm.
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Starting at 6pm.
- All roles are open and will be cast as volunteer positions.
- Those new to the Vex- prepare a dramatic monologue, not to exceed one minute in length. Auditions may include cold readings from the script.
- Those with a Vex performance history- Monologues are optional. Auditions will include cold readings from the script.
- Review the rehearsal and performance schedule below.
- Email The Vex at email@example.com to request an appointment and for further instructions.
SHOW SUMMARY: (Drama with comedic elements) Based on the true account of women working in a watch factory in the late 20”s, THESE SHINING LIVES chronicles the strength and determination of women, considered expendable in their day, exploring their story and its continued resonance. Catherine and her friends are dying, it’s true; but theirs is a story of survival in its most transcendent sense, as they refuse to allow the company that stole their health to kill their spirits—or endanger the lives of those who come after them.
- Directed by: Tamikai Frazier
- Show Dates: February 8th– March 1st, 2020
- Performance times: Thursdays at 7:30pm, Saturdays at 8:00pm, Sunday matinees at 2:30pm. (Tentative evening performance on one Sunday.)
- Call times are 1 hour before curtain.
- Regular rehearsals will begin January 2, 2020. However, there will be a few scattered meetings and read-throughs scheduled in December
- A typical Vex rehearsal schedule is Monday through Thursday, 7pm-10pm. Friday and weekend rehearsals are scheduled as needed throughout the rehearsal period.
- The final two weeks and weekends of rehearsals include technical and dress rehearsals with the full company called.
Catherine Donohue 20’s-30’s is a proud working woman, a young wife and a mother of two. She is vibrant and competitive. Although she insists that her job is a temporary one, she enjoys working outside of the home and she is unapologetic about it.
Charlotte 20’s-30’s is a tough taskmaster and a determined woman. She works hard at her job, doesn’t make friends easily and she doesn’t let go of the friends she has made or let them give up. The actress playing Charlotte may possibly double as another character.
Frances 20’s – 40’s has a keen eye for scandal. She loves the time and attention she gets from her work companions. The actress playing Frances may possibly double as another character.
Pearl 20’s – 40’s is a shameless gossip who sees her work as an opportunity to know everything about everyone. Not a single symptom of scandal or sickness escapes her notice. The actress playing Pearl may possibly double as another character.
Tom Donohue 20’s- 30’s is Catherine’s husband. He is head-over-heels for his wife and family even though he is somewhat troubled by having a working wife. The actor playing Tom may possibly double as another character.
Mr. Reed late 20’s – 50’s is the boss at the factory. It is clear that he has information about the effects of radium poisoning but he abides by company policy and does not inform his workers. He wants to make the factory profitable. Although he is invested in his workers and their lives and even considers them friends, he knowingly allows them to continue to be poisoned and sicken and die. The actor playing Mr. Reed may possibly double as another character.
Supporting Roles 20’s-50’s There are a few roles for supporting actors such as Radio Announcer, Judge, Leonard Grossman, Dr. Rowantree, Dr. Dalitsch and Reporters. Actors may possibly double as multiple characters.
Characters age, gender and ethnicity?
Actual actor ages, gender and ethnicity may be flexible to allow for optimum matching and chemistry between actors.